Athletics has been a source of pride and school spirit since Hotchkiss’s founding days. Participating in team sports teaches students the value of persistence, builds their confidence, and strengthens their bonds with one another.
A MESSAGE FROM THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
Since its founding, Hotchkiss has recognized the importance of combining academic pursuits with a strong physical education. The goal of our athletic program is to help student-athletes become more confident, both physically and mentally, because that confidence carries over into all areas of campus life.
As you develop your athletic skills, you will be coached by Hotchkiss faculty members and play in state-of-the-art facilities. At Hotchkiss, your teachers are your coaches, which will benefit you as both a student and an athlete.
While individual teams will establish a unique culture and ethos, every program is expected to uphold the values of the athletic program — and Hotchkiss as a whole. The following standards represent these shared ideals:
- Boldness: Dare to dream and take risks. Believe in yourself and your abilities.
- Enthusiasm: Your heart must be in your work. Your energy and enthusiasm stimulates and inspires those you work with. It is the ingredient that transforms hard work into something of great magnitude.
- Accountability: Hotchkiss looks to encourage students to influence one another in a positive manner. Our student-athletes are expected to be leaders who hold themselves and their teammates accountable to the highest standard of ethical behavior.
- Respect: Players should look to earn the respect of his/her coaches and fellow teammates. Showing up early, demonstrating an exemplary work ethic, a positive attitude and a sense of responsibility are things that will win the respect of teammates and coaches.
- Commit: Commit yourself to your sport. Dedicate yourself to excellence, take care of yourself emotionally, physically and mentally, be willing to sacrifice. Commit yourself to becoming the best athlete and teammate you can be.
- Attitude: There is no substitute for hard work when it comes to success. Have a real love for the hard battle knowing it offers the opportunity to be at your best when your best is required. Your best is required each day.
- Team: While the concept of “team” may vary from one athletic team to another, we want all of our student-athletes to understand that they are part of something bigger than themselves and to take the important lessons of “team” offered by participation in athletics. It is about more than you as an individual. Playing for each other helps our athletes learn important lessons.
- Sportsmanship: It is important for our student-athletes to hold themselves to the same high standards of effort, attitude, and behavior in the field of play as they do in the classroom and in the community. Our coaches and student-athletes will actively pursue these standards, as well as those established by individual teams. As a result, we are certain our achievements on and off the fields of play will continue to be a source of pride for all of us in the Hotchkiss community. Adherence to these standards will serve to enrich and deepen the educational value of a student’s participation in athletics, strengthening the integral role athletics can play in the educational process at Hotchkiss.
The Hotchkiss School is committed to excellence in all areas, and Hotchkiss student-athletes seek to better themselves on a daily basis. Our interscholastic program enhances the overall quality of a Hotchkiss education. It strengthens the connection to campus life and allows our students to take full advantage of the “outdoor classroom.”